I have this tendency to automatically dislike people that I've heard great things about. I'm not sure if it's because I want them to prove themselves to me or if it's because I am very stubborn. Either way, it happens. I don't like people because they are too funny, too happy, too joyful; you name it, I think of it. I know it's ridiculous and I'm working on it. But before I was aware of my ridiculous tendencies, I met this girl who people raved about.
She had this great smile and huge hair that automatically made her stand out. She was always happy and never seemed to have a care in the world. She liked to be surrounded by people and truly charished the moments she was in.
But of course I didn't like her. She was intimidating because she was prettier than me and people probably liked her more than me. She radiated Jesus and I wanted that. I wanted to be a social butterfly; surrounding myself with people that love Jesus and me. Now that I write this, I wonder if I didn't like her because I was jealous of her. Probably. I'm ridiculous. I know.
So of course I had to meet her. I met her multiple times and tried my hardest to believe that she was genuinely happy. I tried to believe that she was sincere and warm-hearted. I didn't work. The few interactions that we had were awkward and forced. Then I started dating one of her good guy friends. She then became even more intimidating because she knew him longer and cared about him in a way that I wasn't able to.
I spent my summer with him, her and a bunch of people. And somehow this beautiful friendship developed. She and I took a picture together in the beginning of the summer, when we barely knew each other, not knowing that it would become real. Our friendship began the weekend that we spent every second together. Most of the time was spent laying on the floor next to each other, talking about the real and in-depth things that were happening in our lives. That weekend was incredible. We laughed a lot and slept a lot. She showed me pure and true joy. The kind of joy that comes from Christ. It was sincere and real. She wanted to hear my heart, my past and the current things happening in my life. She was the support that I had been looking for all along. From then on we spent some weekends together and some apart. But our friendship was real. We supported each other throughout the week, something that I needed.
Like most summers, camp friendships and relationships end the day all of the campers leave and we get to go back into the real world. I thought it was going to be like that, so I didn't put much thought into it the day we left. But school started and life here began again. Classes, boyfriend, roommates and life happening so quickly. But in the midst of all the chaos, that beautiful friendship that began this summer was still there. We went on friend dates, explored the city and supported each other to the best of our abilities.
However, this semester has been the best so far in our friendship. She has shown me grace. She has shown me unconditional love. She has supported me and loved me. She has been a blessing to me.
Thank you Liz. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment